Monday, April 4, 2011

Legal Sex Female Seeks Semi-Normal Roommate

"Filling out a housing application kind of feels like online dating," said Amy Hoagland.

This statement turned out to be partly true. Making yourself an attractive, yet not off-putting roommate option is almost more brutal than photoshopping flaws before posting to match.com.

After giving up on the list of suggested roommates based on a percentage compatibility rate, I opted for Facebook creeping. Scrolling through the hundreds of faces who have similarly joined the groups Accepted NYU Class of 2015 and NYU Official Party List, profile pictures and cities of origin told me more than I ever could have gotten from "how dark you like the room you are sleeping in?"

This immediate book-by-its-cover-judgement made possible by Mark Zuckerberg suddenly made me wonder how people would judge me by my profile picture. In changing it to a more mainstream solo shot, I hope to fully avoid looking either depressed (hello, girl frowning in front of a birthday cake), or obsessive (another marked one of her interests as "my wonderful boyfriend :)"), or a terrorist (scarf up to your nose and sunglasses? Looking to make friends, I see). I hope to be a non-offensive potential roommate - I think.

At some point, it seems easier to just get a random "Legal Sex (Female)" or a "Gender Identity Female" (typical NYU: sensitive to transgender preferences) assigned to occupy the same ten square feet of living space as me for a year. If I like them, great. If not, you will be reading a lot about them here.

And don't even get me started on choosing a meal plan...

No comments:

Post a Comment