Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Shoes

I have been obsessing over this one pair of shoes from an overpriced national brand for about 2 months. By the time I got the balls to order them, they were on backorder until my birthday.

Being both resourceful and impatient, I decided to go rescue them myself. They were so expensive. Calling your debit card company in-store to see if you have enough to buy a pair of shoes is pretty embarrassing. Alas, I had sufficient funds. I practically crawled to the checkout counter. I told the sales clerk that I was about to hate myself and she was very concerned by my concern. True, people often drop hundreds a visit when they go to that trendy hot-spot, but I, by nature, am a Buffalo Exchange girl. Actually paying for an item of clothing, not to mention paying full price, is not comfortable for me.

I politely declined a bag for my purchase (trying to make my Environmental Science teacher proud) and placed the box delicately on the passenger-side floor of my mom's car. I then proceeded to park said car in the garage next to the gym. After watching my friends band, Neverready, play, I got a ride back to my car.

So, here's the problem. Everyone knows parking garages lock at a certain time, right? Well, not this girl. So, my mom's car, and my self-hatred inducing shoes are locked away (safely?) for the night. Thank God I wont ever have to deal with car matters once I move - they aren't my forte. (Did I mention my broken down car is still parked out front of my old house? I don't even want it back.)

However, I will make my unfriendly-to-the-environment-and-my-budget purchase worth it by wearing my shoes on a field trip to the San Diego land fill next month. (In case you were curious: no, I am not cut out for this class. I had to excuse myself to the nurse when Mr. Kelso demonstrated composting).

No comments:

Post a Comment