Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Manorexia. A real thing?


"Dude I totally have workout bulimia."
"I did the Master Cleanse for 20 days once. I dropped like 10 lbs."
"Ugh that Chinese food was so much. I so wish I could throw up right now."
"Our diet starts tomorrow. I swear to god all we are gonna do is run."
"Could we go on a fruit and vegetable cleanse to start our group diet?"
"I wanna drop 40 lbs by the end of summer. They did way more than that on 'I Used To Be Fat."

The above quotes, believe it or not, are from a session spent in my friend's "cave", the basement hangout at their house. Yes, we spent a solid 45 minutes, including the walk we went on, conversing solely our respective weights and fitness goals. The methods among teenagers range from actively unproductive to extreme dieting - did I forget to mention the friends I was with were guys?

I understand guys wanting to "get big" - in their words - but to borrow tips from the eating disordered teenage girls next door and trying the get-thin-quick cleanses popular among housewives seems to go a bit far. Honestly, this conversation would never occur between two straight 18 year old men in any other place than Southern California. Living in the land of year-long beach weather has made us all a little neurotic about out appearances, I just never thought in escaping my girlfriends for an afternoon I would face the same conversations.

Case in point, Dennis Quaid of Hollywood, California's true state capitol:http://www.clickorlando.com/news/7965067/detail.html

No comments:

Post a Comment