Saturday, January 22, 2011

143, 2?

143 as an abrev for “I love you” is lazy. But has the phrase itself become just as bad?

Today, it seems like people say ily to everyone they come in contact with. It has become a way to express even the vaguest appreciation for someone. Now, when a girlfriend says something funny, instead of acknowledging her wit, her friend will say “Hahaha I love you.” This looks odd on paper, but even I’m guilty of this miscommunication.

When I consider the people who I have said ily to, I think back and realize I really didn’t love most of them. ily has become so gratuitous that it slips easily, and once said in a fledgling relationship, it is difficult to ignore twice. Saying ily is easier than exploring your true feelings about someone, acknowledging specific personality traits or even coming up with a new topic of conversation.

“143 I make her say it when we sexing.” Ray J’s grammar aside, the truth in this statement is cringe inducing. The chemicals released by sex (dopamine, norepinephrine, and endorphins, to name a few) prompt both males and females to feel more intimate and attached to one another. This is dangerous; because it usually leads people to say things they might otherwise not. Proceed with caution if you find yourself wanting to post-coitaly 143 anyone.

“143 that’s what she sends me when we’re texting.” Texting makes saying anything easier. However, ends of texting conversations are often awkward, and a “love you” send off can seem fitting. Never text ily before you say it. Ever.

Next time you consider telling someone ily, really think about it. Would you die for this person? Do you want them in your life forever? If not, don’t bother. Come up with something more genuine to say, because honestly, I’m getting sick of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment