Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pass the Tabasco - er, Sergio.

“Which other sultry Spaniard could this be?” he responded to my inquiry of identification. What a retort, from a hot tortilla of a man.

Besides the fact that I no longer sleep (and yes, I realize that as a second-semester senior, this news is blasphemy), my greatest hobby is now this blog. As is the case atm (at the moment), I am foregoing homework in order to blog. Specifically, to pay tribute to my biggest fan.

I was not aware I had any fans at all, considering I have 8 followers and one snarky comment to my name, but apparently my attempts at wit and my Sarah Palin–esque additions to the English language manage to light up the face of the spiciest kid I know.

Sergio Santamaria and I go back to freshman year. He was new, and I was literally the weirdest girl a new kid could hope to report about to his public school friends. One memorable encounter between Serg and I occurred in the Bentham locker area one fine afternoon when I decided my hair needed some revival. I entered an enclosed area-which I assumed to be empty-when I proceeded to bend over at the waist and vigorously flip my hair back and fourth (If only I had the foresight to make my routine into a hit single. And Will Smith was my dad.) My only guess at why I did this is I needed a volume lift. And yes, I now know they make products for that.

In the middle of my final flip, I caught view of a face in my peripheral vision, full of what can only be described as horror. This adorable Latino slice of love had witnessed what I had thought to be my private grooming session, and I felt nothing but pity for him. This was after only a few days into his first semester at Bishop’s, and by the looks of this small Hispanic boy cowering next to his locker and avoiding my gaze it was not going well.

The next day in health class: we watch with disgust as our dean of students meticulously peels a condom onto a ripe banana. Sergio finds a time to mention “Yesterday, I was getting a book from my locker, and I saw you come in but was too nervous to say anything. Then, I thought to myself, ‘Who is this crazy girl coming in here and flipping her hair all around?’” I didn’t really know how to take this but with a blush of the cheeks and a giggle of acknowledgement of my unacceptable actions, while internally vowing to discover a socially acceptable way to achieve voluminous locks.

Since that day, there has been only love between us. Sergio “Spice” Santamaria has charmed his way into my heart with his accent, his eyes, and his intuitive understanding of Shakespeare. This one is for you, Serg, do with it what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment