Tuesday, March 15, 2011

You only want...


...what you can't have. That seems to be the ruling philosophy of many human actions. Dieting doesn't work because the minute you tell yourself you can't have something you absolutely must have it. Dating doesn't work because the thought of being tied down to one person makes everyone else suddenly seem like a catch. Since I've given up on both men and diets, the one thing I wanted until today was a cupcake.

Not just any cupcake. Sprinkles, the gourmet cupcake bakery that originated in LA recently opened near my house. I, having built up cupcakes in my mind ever since I was young, have been only disappointed by almost every cupcake I've ever eaten (because they always look better than they are. This can be said about many things). This one, I was sure, was going to change everything.

The two weeks after Sprinkles opened, the line was doubled around the building, a 45 minute wait - if you got there before it opened. I was devastated that my impatience would bar me from the cupcake of all cupcakes.

That was until Thursday, when my friend told me that her new job was at the Rubios next door to Sprinkles, and every morning she goes in and orders her cupcakes, then picks them up at the end of the day.

I had a plan. It was go time.

Approximately two hours ago I had my first Sprinkles cupcake. It was good. Only good. ONLY GOOD. Nothing spectacular at all. And 10 minutes after consumption, I was hit with a stomach ache so bad I was convinced I'd been poisoned by the peanut butter-chocolate cake.

Turns out, I'm fine. But still nauseous. I hate cupcakes. I'm never bothering again.

Except I'm pretty sure I had a great one once at the Cookie Lady...maybe she is my salvation.

P.S. Ice cream is underrated. It never disappoints. Why can't I just commit?

No comments:

Post a Comment